| 1 comments ]

Photo Credit: Belchez

Belchez brings the essence of the street back to street wear with designs that speak to a generation and pay homage to artistic greats. Drawing inspiration from his own ’hood as well as vibrant, distinct artists like Mondrian and Warhol, Belchez juxtaposes unconventionally bright color ways and prints with the gloomy yet hopeful theme for his fall ’08 collection, "dead passion." I talked with Belchez after the photoshoot to hear more about how he's helped street wear find itself.

How do you pick the people used as images?
It ties in with the theme of the line for the particular season. I did artists. I did rappers. It was more driven off of dead passion. Haring, Picasso and Warhol are all dead, but had crazy talent and drive. Shogun of Harlem was just passionate throughout the whole damn movie…New York rappers are dead—ain’t nobody putting out hot shit…

What was your inspiration?
My inspiration comes from the ‘hood, my neighborhood. The people, the places, the good, the bad, the ugly. The cookouts and people sitting in lawn chairs for no good reason looking at the avenue. I’m also inspired by colors, and what’s more colorful than art...well, besides RuPaul’s face.

What keeps you going when you're designing? What are you listening to?
Anything from Sade to Shabba Ranks.

What are your future goals?
I plan to take over the world. I just plan to keep making these hot ass, motherfucking t-shirts!

Who epitomizes what your message is and could take your brand to the next level?
I don’t think there's one artist who could take my brand to the next level. But to put that much pressure on one person, like “Who is that Jesus to represent your brand?” I cant. I epitomize my brand. I’m hot.

Shop Belchez:
Probus, 714 W 181st St
Harlem Underground, 20 E 125th St, 212.987.9385
West, 147 W. 72nd Street, 212.787.8595
World, 187 Chrystie St, 212.677.4296
Pieces, 671 Vanderbilt Ave, 718.857.7211

Photo Credit: Daniel Warrington

Visit Warrington's portfolio at http://danielwarrington.com and his blog at http://matterofthecloth.blogspot.com

1 comments

Anonymous said... @ November 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Lol he shouted out the Shogun of Harlem. You know The Steel Crew has been a devoted follower of Shonuff.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Be sure to check back for my response...
omo
x