| 6 comments ]

Here I'm trying on the combination of necklaces that I want to show and styling the outfits on myself for each girl. Odd & Even, NYC is all about spontaneity and funkiness. Tried to show that in the layering...The theme of the event was Harlem Renaissance, so I also kept that in mind with the clothes...

For a couple days I had an invitation banner on the side there...It was for an emerging talent showcase that a friend of mine was organizing. He asked me to be the fashion component! That was the beginning of Odd & Even, NYC fashion exhibit at Minton's in Harlem.

First Step: Get clothes...Even though I had no budget, I couldn't have my models walk in their own clothes! I opened up a studio account with French Connection and borrowed some pieces from an indie designer I know, Chay of the HiLiterz Crew.
Second Step: Get models...ha! Funny story...I got one model from my ad on craiglist, met one girl in Starbucks and recruited a girl from school. My other three girls cancelled! for honest reasons though....Finding/keeping models for an unpaid gig is as hard as it sounds.

But the show must go on and I made it work with three girls. They looked and walked great to "Wait a Minute" by Estelle. Here's a couple pics below!

P.S. I was so caught up, nervous, excited etc. that I forgot to take my own shots! These are from the photographer (www.sassomoso.com where you can find other pics from the night) and friends.

6 comments

Miss Mary Mac--Jatae Monique said... @ August 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM

ow i'm caught up!! just have to comment...I'm so effin' proud of you!

Samantha Smikle said... @ August 4, 2008 at 10:56 PM

huh? to the first part...thanks girlie! to the second :)

GangStarr Girl said... @ August 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Sounds like everything came together nicely. It know what you mean though about recruiting people pro bono. Not easy at all, but at least you made it work with the three models you had. Nice pics too!

Samantha Smikle said... @ August 4, 2008 at 11:31 PM

yeah, such a struggle! Def had to make it work! Glad you like the pics :)

Always In Style said... @ August 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Congratulations -- looks like you had a fab show!

Samantha Smikle said... @ August 8, 2008 at 12:19 PM

it was cool...wish everyone could have made it! next time... :)
xo,
S.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Be sure to check back for my response...
omo
x